St John’s Church
St John’s is a large, lively church situated in the heart of Keynsham. We have a diverse pattern of worship, ranging
Pattern of Sunday services
8.00am Holy communion (with book of common prayer on
On first Sunday of each month (and during August)
Evening services as advertised.
To view our term card for full details click here
Wednesdays 11.00am - weekday holy communion
Details of all services available in church or from parish office next
History of St John’s Church
In 1167 the building of Keynsham Abbey was begun. Remains of this abbey can be seen today. About one hundred years later a church was built for the people in the town. The chancel of St John’s Church dates from the thirteenth century. After the break with Rome, the dissolution of the monasteries took place and Keynsham Abbey was dissolved in 1539. So St John’s Church became a protestant church. In the fifteenth century there was a spire on the end of the north aisle. During a great storm in 1632 the tower collapsed and a new west end tower was not completed until the 1650s. The church went into a period of decline and the building was in a bad state. It was restored during the nineteenth century. Various restorations have taken place since then, culminating in a huge restoration during the 1990s.
St John’s today is a very beautiful building and we thank God for all those people who have contributed to this beauty over the centuries. Many people find God’s presence, solace, comfort and renewal here.
For a full history of the church, the rectory and the church hall and past incumbents, please see the book 'St John the Baptist, Keynsham. A history of the church' written by Elizabeth White, a local historian (details from the Parish Office).
| Printable Version|