Go back to normal view
St John’s is a large, lively church situated in the heart of Keynsham. We have a diverse pattern of worship, ranging
from the 9.30 service where a robed choir lead the music in worship, to our 11.15 informal service where a contemporary music band takes over that role. You may be sure of a warm welcome at any time.
Pattern of Sunday services
8.00am Holy communion (with book of common prayer on
1st Sunday of the month)
9.30am Holy communion/morning prayer*
11.15am Morning Service (informal worship)*
*On occasion, our 9.30am and 11.15am service are combined.
Please check the term card below.
Evening services as advertised.
Wednesdays 11.00am - weekday holy communion
Mondays and Thursdays 9.05am - common worship daily prayer
Details of all services available in church or from parish office next
to the church.
History of St John’s Church
In 1167 the building of Keynsham Abbey was begun. Remains of this abbey can be seen today. About one hundred years later a church was built for the people in the town. The chancel of St John’s Church dates from the thirteenth century. After the break with Rome, the dissolution of the monasteries took place and Keynsham Abbey was dissolved in 1539. So St John’s Church became a protestant church. In the fifteenth century there was a spire on the end of the north aisle. During a great storm in 1632 the tower collapsed and a new west end tower was not completed until the 1650s. The church went into a period of decline and the building was in a bad state. It was restored during the nineteenth century. Various restorations have taken place since then, culminating in a huge restoration during the 1990s.
St John’s today is a very beautiful building and we thank God for all those people who have contributed to this beauty over the centuries. Many people find God’s presence, solace, comfort and renewal here.
For a full history of the church, the rectory and the church hall and past incumbents, please see the book 'St John the Baptist, Keynsham. A history of the church' written by Elizabeth White, a local historian (details from the Parish Office).